The City of Pittsfield is excited to announce that the “3M Scott Firefighter Combat Challenge” will be held here for a regional competition in 2019. The event will take place June 14th and 15th and is sponsored by Lenco Rescue Vehicles and Berkshire Bank. There will also be a scaled down version of the event called the Greylock Federal Credit Union Kid’s Crawl, Drag, and Squirt Course. It is free to children ages 4-12. This event takes place over the course of 2 days. The full competition course, as seen on ESPN for over a decade and now televised on FFCC.com and ESPN3, will be set up at Berkshire Crossing where everyone will be invited to join us for this event free. We will have OUR own Pittsfield and local Berkshire County firefighters competing. There will be firefighters from across the state and country attending as well. There will even be firefighters from Canada and possibly other countries travelling for this exciting event. Retired firefighters are welcome to compete also.
There are 3 ways to compete:
• Individuals – Completing the entire course individually, in full gear on breathing air
- 3-5 firefighters from the same department may each run the individuals as a team. The top 3 individual times of that team will be added together for ranking in the Team category.
- Categories for individuals are: Female, Male Open, Male over 40, Male over 50, Male over 55, Male over 60 and Chief’s division.
• Tandems – A two person team. Each doing half of the course with a handoff in the middle in full gear – NOT on breathing air
- Categories are: Female, Co-ed, Male Open, Male over 40, Male over 50, Male over 55, and Male over 60.
• Relays – A team of 3-5 firefighters each completing a task on the course. They hand off after each task like a relay. In full gear – NOT on breathing air.
- Categories are: Female, Male Open, Male over 40, and Male over 50, and Male over 60.
For more information about the Challenge course, registration and rules go to www.firefighterchallenge.com. For more information about the Pittsfield event – you may e-mail dgarner@cityofpittsfield or call Dan Garner @ 413-448-9754. The Individual races will be held Friday June 14th starting at tbd. The tandem and relay races will be held Saturday the 15th starting at tbd.
We hope to see you come out and support our local and visiting heroes!